Tuesday 14 August 2012

Attempting Wire..

So I thought it's time I posted some of my first attempts of wire jewellery. On my trip to the Arts & Crafts store I decided to invest into a book by Sharilyn Miller on beginners wire work which has really helped out to get started so here are some pics.

Favorite piece so far (possibly a key ring or pendant?)... What do you guys recon?
I have used 1.2mm and 0.8mm wire to wrap plus heart shaped bead. The end result is pretty straightforward  to make however it looks great. It just needs some finishing touches and voila!


I have also stocked up on some home made jump rings which weren't that hard to make with a little help of using the screw driver. I've used the handle of the screw driver with 1.2mm wire and wrapped it around it. Then used the cutters to cut them into identical jump rings. Quick and effective! :)


2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm curious about how you did both of these things - how did you make the coil, and did you wrap a long length of wire round the screw driver and then slip them off to snip them one at a time, or is there another technique. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you for the lovely comments!

    With the first little heart pendant/keyring I have wrapped 0.6mm wire around 1.2mm wire and then basically shaped that around the heart bead. I'd like it give it a go again to be honest as I figured some other things since. Such as using masking tape on tools to prevent from scratching/tarnishing the wire. :-)

    Wih the jump rings, I have wrapped thick wire around the screwdriver and then snipped individual rings. Though I could do with some wire cutters that cut those flat on both ends of the ring. But then again it's more for practice at the moment.

    What kind of things have you attempted so far? :-)

    ReplyDelete